Friday, August 3, 2018

#FollowFollowFollow The dizzying beauty of #BrookeShaden's photography and provocative thinking. #Repost @brookeshaden ・・・ It's Monday, which means a new video is out showing behind the scenes of this image (link in bio). But I'm also taking a moment to talk about self-portraiture, the harsh judgments, and the control we have over that conversation. πŸ’› In my first few months of creating, I shared an image that showed my rib bones heavily accentuated - on purpose - for the story of the image. I got many hateful comments calling me names for being too skinny, anorexic, etc. It upset me, made me feel terrible about myself. And, to boot, I was also receiving emails saying I was too ugly to create self-portraits. πŸ’› The next time I made an image where my bones showed, I intentionally directed the conversation. I talked about the choice that I made to do that, the story behind the image, the theme, and suddenly, the image wasn't about me or the model anymore. It was about the art. πŸ’› I've learned over the years how to find control in the vulnerability of sharing art. How to let negative comments roll off my back. How to take ownership of what I put out there. πŸ’› This week, I'd love to see your self-portraits. If you've never done one before, dive in. I dare you.


No comments: